If I could only have one dish for the rest of my life, Haynes’ eggplant rollatini would be it.
Eggplant Rollatini with Mozzarella and Goat Cheese
1 C. grated or chopped mozzarella
1 C. crumbled goat cheese
2 scallions, including a few inches of the greens, thinly sliced
2 tsp. minced thyme
Salt freshly ground pepper
2 large globe eggplants (about 3 lbs.)
1) Slice eggplant lengthwise no more than 1/3 inch thick so they can be rolled.
2) Brush slices with olive oil then grill, bake, fry or broil on both sides until tender. They should be flexible, a little dry is fine.
3) Create the stuffing by combining the cheeses, scallions, and herbs. Season with salt & pepper. If mixture seems dry and doesn’t cohere, ad a little milk.
4) Place about 2 tbs. stuffing at the widest end of each piece of eggplant, roll into a cylinder and secure with a toothpick, if necessary, to hold shape.
5) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place stuffed eggplant in lightly oiled baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer Cover the dish with tin foil.
6) Bake until eggplant rolls are heated through, about 25 mins. Spoon your favorite tomato sauce on a plate and place rollatini on top (or cover in sauce), garnish with chopped herbs.